I was released today at about 10:30am.
So this morning at 8 I was told I could be discharged at 10, so while Tim was getting everything together, I walked over to the NICU to give milk and check on TJ, just really quick. When I got there she told me that I was going to change his diaper! First one for us- well I mean that I had to change. Then she said since she was told he was feeding so well, she decided to let me feed him with the bottle! So exciting. I had watched the other nurses feed him so I felt pretty comfortable doing it. He ate all of the ounce he was supposed to eat!! Of course Tim came over because he was wondering what was going on since I told him I would be back soon, I told him that I had been put to work :) I felt bad that he missed out on all of the excitement!
After that I had all my "hygiene" stuff to do and then was released. I didn't even have to be wheelchaired out because I had been walking around so much and was fine. I really do feel really good, but I know that I need to rest up because I won't be able to soon. We went back to do a quick check on him- Can't resist getting a little lookie at our cutie. Then we went home to let out our pups and clean up a bit. Then we were back on the road to bring more milk and do a feeding. Tim was able to feed him this time and he ate about 1 1/2 oz. He is now on as much milk as he will drink. The time before this one was 2 oz! What a big boy!
So we have a couple of goals that he needs to meet before he can go home:
- finish his antibiotics- which will be done tomorrow and the nurse suspects that he won't be needing anymore doses!
- That his feeding continues to stay good and that he keeps increasing.
- His oxygen levels need to stay constant for 7 days- which the last dip (that he self-corrected :) ) was at 8pm the day of his birth (Friday). Which means that he will not be coming home before Friday.
- Keeping his body temperature up
- Gaining a certain amount of weight each day.
Oh and he is off the IV because of the feedings, so that is good news. He did get moved to a different crib and will be under the lights for the night because of a little jaundice.
So for now we are going to try and get everything ready for TJ at the house, I was planning on getting a lot of things this weekend but him being in NICU is giving us a chance to catch up on everything. Obviously I would rather he not be in NICU but at least everything should be ready for him like he deserves. We gotta try to put that positive spin on the situation.
Our feelings on the situation aren't gloomy, though it is tough to leave your little one at the hospital in other peoples care and not your own, we know that they are just trying to look out for him. Everyday has been a positive day so we are holding our heads up high and know that we will take our sweet little one home as soon as he is ready. So no need for anyone to worry because we aren't- we are just anxious to get him home to see all the great things that people have given to him and get to love on him whenever we want without restrictions, wires or nurses crowding around us.
Everyone keeps telling us that he is just the sweetest little boy- I can't wait to be able to experience that 24/7 and not have someone else tell me so.
I am going to try and post a video- we shall see how that goes. Thanks to all of you for your support!

SO glad to hear he's making so many strides! We're thinking of you guys, and hope little TJ comes home very soon. Hope to see more pictures of the sweet little boy soon.
ReplyDeletexoxo